This Weekly Bake was inspired by my craving for a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts with a long week in the office this were very welcomed by everyone. I followed an American recipe using cups and used trex vegetable fat which I’m not really sure how this compares to American vegatvskr shortening. But they turned out pretty well just think the glaze needs to be thicker next time and I cooked them for a little too long but they were still amazing and satisfied the craving!
- 2 Packets of yeast
- 1/4 cup of Warm water
- 1 1/4 cups of Warm milk
- 1/2 Cup of Caster sugar
- Teaspoon of salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup vegetable shortening
- 5 Cups of Bread flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 1/2 cups of icing sugar
- 1/4 Cup of Milk
- 1/4 Cup of Golden Syrup
- Add the yeast to the warm water and mix together in jug and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour, milk, eggs, sugar and trex to a large bowl, then add the yeast and water and knead together until it has formed a soft dough this will take about 10 minutes.
- Leave to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Once risen roll out until half an inch thick, using cutters cut out circles and then using a smaller one cut out the centres.
- Leave to rise again for 45 minutes until they have puffed back up.
- Heat the vegetable oil until it is bubbling, use some of the centers of the doughnuts to test whether the oil is hot enough.
- Cook the doughnuts on each side for about a minute until golden brown.
- Make the glaze by mixing together the icing sugar, milk and golden syrup heat gently until fully combined.
- Dip each doughnut into the glaze until fully coated.