Probably one of my all time favourite puddings has to be banoffee pie. I love bananas and they are probably up there with being one of my favourite fruits, combined with caramel, cream and biscuit and your onto a winner! I love adapting recipes to create new favourites and I think this may be one! They went down very quickly in the office the bananas did release a bit of moisture which caused the caramel to be a little runny so quite gooey and difficult to cut into even slices but I like that rustic look anyway.
Ingredients for shortbread
- 175g Butter
- 250g Plain flour
- 1 Banana
- 1/4 of tsp of Vanilla bean paste
- 75g Caster Sugar
Ingredients for caramel
- 50g Butter
- 50g Dark soft brown sugar
- 1 can (397g) of Condensed milk
- 1 banana
Ingredients for chocolate
- 200g Dark Chocolate
- 20g White or Milk (if you like to decorate with feathering- I didn’t have any so I skipped it this time).
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Grease and line a baking tin 30cm x 23cm.
- In a bowl rub together the flour, sugar and butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs and starts to come together.
- Add the banana and mash into the shortbread mix along with the vanilla bean paste.
- Fill the tin with the shortbread and level using a small palette knife. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden.
- Whilst baking make the caramel by heating the butter, brown sugar and condensed milk in a saucepan on a low heat.
- Continuously stir the caramel making sure that it doesn’t stick, once the butter has melted turn the heat up and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn the heat back down until the mixture has thickened. It should be a nice dark caramel colour.
- Leave the caramel to the side to cool slightly. Remove the shortbread from the oven.
- Thinly slice the banana for the caramel.
- Pour the caramel over the shortbread, add the sliced banana pushing them into the caramelthen leave to set, you may want to do this in the fridge to speed it up.
- Melt the chocolate and then pour over the set caramel and then leave the chocolate to set and harden over night.