Rhubarb crumble bars! I love crumble and rhubarb is so good at this time of year we always have an abundance at home, it doesn’t matter if its not forced rhubarb and as red as you would get from the supermarket as the taste is just the same. The crumble topping and base was delicious and perfect for an evening snack. The are best kept in the fridge as the rhubarb filling is quite moist.
Ingredients for Rhubarb filling
- 300g Rhubarb
- 60g Demerara
Ingredients for crumble
- 175g Wholemeal Plain flour
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- 1 Small egg
- 175g Butter
- 60g Caster sugar
- 60g Dark brown sugar
- 30g Oats
- First preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the rhubarb into small pieces and place on a baking tray and cover with the caster sugar
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until the rhubarb is soft and jam like. Then use a fork to break up any larger pieces.
- Whilst it is baking create the crumble, you can do this by hand or using a food processor. Cut the butter into small pieces and rub in with the flour and sugar until resembles breadcrumbs.
- Split the crumble mixture in half and add the egg and vanilla bean paste to one half and mix until forms a dough.
- In the other half add the oats and mix to form the crumble topping.
- Press the dough into a prepared tin 20x20cm pinned tin.
- Placed the cooked rhubarb on top and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve warm.