This was an anniversary special for Jake and I. We both love it and I don’t think I have actually made it since I have been with Jake which is 6 whole years, I have made many Banoffee flavoured bakes but never the real deal! And let me tell you it did not disappoint!
Ingredients for biscuit base
- 150g Digestive Biscuits
- 75g Butter
Ingredients for caramel + Topping
- 300ml Double Cream
- Drop of vanilla bean paste
- 1 Can of condensed milk
- 75g Butter
- 75g Dark Soft Brown sugar
- 20g Dark chocolate
- 2 Bananas
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a small sauce pan. Crush up the digestive biscuits and mix together with the butter.
- Press the biscuits mixture into the base of your tin a 20cm Spring Preform works best but I only had a tin that releases from the bottom.
- Level using a spatula and place in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
- Make the caramel by heating the condensed milk, butter and sugar in a medium sized saucepan on a low heat.
- Stir the caramel consistently to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. Once the butter and sugar have melted turn up to a medium heat until the mixture starts to thicken – do not let it boil.
- Once the caramel is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Pour into biscuit base and leave to set in the fridge for at least 1 hour (You may not need all of the caramel for your pie – I used about 3/4, and kept the rest aside).
- Once the caramel is set, slice the bananas thinly and place on top of the caramel.
- Whisk the cream until its just about set then spoon onto the pie and smooth over.
- Grate or drizzle the dark chocolate on top to finish the look.