Third intalment in #Willeyschristmasbakes and the other poll option from Instagram is Candy cane chocolate cupcakes- peppermint butter cream with rich mint chocolate cupcake. These are a nice and quick bake using the creaming method to get a good rise and consistency for the cake batter. These cakes were perfect for an evening bake as I managed to fit the bake in after work.
- 175g Salted Butter
- 165g Caster Sugar
- 115g Self Rasing flour
- 2 tsps of Peppermint extract
- 40g of Cocoa Powder
- 70g Dark Chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tsp baking Powder
- 3 tbsp of Milk
- 200g Butter
- 300g Icing sugar
- 1tsp of Peppermint extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Weigh out and cream together the butter and sugar until light a fluffy.
- Add the egg and peppermint extract and beat together it may separate or curdle but this can be stopped by adding a little flour.
- Melt the dark chocolate and add to the cake batter.
- Add the rest of the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and milk beat together until smooth.
- Spoon the mix into the cupcake cases so that it fills 3/4 of the case it should fill about 14 cases.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 15 minutes until firm to touch.
- Remove from tin and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile make the butter cream by beating the butter until smooth, then add the icing sugar and until no lumps remain.
- Add the peppermint extract to the icing and mix.
- Using paste red food colouring and a paint brush or end of a spoon, spread lines down the inside of the pipping bag. Add the star nozzle and cut the end of the bag and fill the bag with the icing.
- Pipe the cupcakes by starting from the edge of the cupcake and going round into the middle and then pulling up to make a point.
- Break the ends of the candy canes off and push into the cup cakes or crush and decorated how you like.